Michaelangelo, DaVinci, and Pauly D? Mama mia! Our favorite guidettes, guidos, and juice-head gorillas are taking over the Motherland!
This week, our Pretty Practioners send a fist pump out to the crew on Jersey Shore. From high-maintenance grooming to low-class orange skin, we’ve got the in’s and out’s of how to keep your skin glowing in all the right ways!
Shea, our APA (Aesthetic Physician’s Assistant), says…
Whether you like it or not, everyone loves watching the drama on the Jersey Shore. Every member on this show is extremely concerned (and in love) with their appearance, but in my opinion, they need a little skin care advise if they want to be able to keep up their look!
- FOR THE GUYS: These Guidos all have the same problem: oily skin! Oily skin is prone to breakouts and acne, so its important to use products that help cut down the oil. For these guys, I would suggest using a toner after they shower, such as Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control Triple-Action Toner ($6, drugstores). This will help keep their pores clear and help prevent oil production. I would also suggest getting regular clinical facials to help prevent breakouts and help keep their skin healthy. At MAS, we offer a specific acne facial, which includes a glycolic acid peel to help exfoliate the skin, and an anti-inflammatory LED Infrared Phototherapy treatment.
- FOR THE GIRLS: The most important tip I have for the Guidettes is to take their makeup off before bed! Leaving makeup on while you sleep can clog pores and will make your skin look dull and predispose you to breakouts. Neutrogena makes Makeup Remover Wipes ($2.29, Drugstore.com) that are a simple and easy way to wipe away makeup and exfoliate dry damaged skin. J Woww recently announced that she is releasing a new skin care kit, that will include an exfoliating cleanser to scrub away makeup, an under eye cream to decrease puffiness, and a color enhancing moisturizer to give your skin a healthy glow. These products are designed to help reboot your skin after a long night of partying (a daily necessity for these girls)!
- FOR THE ENTIRE CAST: Regardless of how good your skincare routine is, there are 2 things that will damage your skin permanently: smoking and sun damage! The Jersey Shore cast has had plenty of exposure to both of these, and if they dont stop smoking and start using SPF, they will develop wrinkles and sun spots over the next few years.
Sun spots and sun damage are very difficult to treat. First, you have to start wearing a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 on a daily basis. Then I would recommend skin lightening products, such as DermaQuest Skin Lightening Serum ($50, Available in our office) to start lightening the spots. For more severe sun damage sun damage, I would recommend a series of peels, such as our Sun Spot SeriesTM. This series of clinical facials includes a glycolic acid peel, and uses products with Kojic Acid, Azelaic Acid, and Retinol to help get rid of sun spots and sun damage. Don’t forget, that sun exposure not only damages the appearance of your skin, but it also greatly increases the risk of getting skin cancer. For more information about sun spot treatments and the Sun Spot SeriesTM, call 917-703-7069 or go to www.ManhattanAestheticSurgery.com.
Karin, our Beauty Blogger, says…
I am totally guilty of watching Snooki, J Woww, Dina, and Sammi “Sweetheart” in complete fascination at their pre-game glamathons! They really take make-over to a whole new level. Even more than overplucked brows and gobs of gloss, the biggest beauty blunder that I would like to see remedied this season is the super fake bake orange skin!
I love sun-less tanning! It’s cheap, easy, and so much better for you skin than any form of UV exposure (especially with that tax!). Before you begin, exfoliate well with a loofah and a sugar scrub to make your skin as smooth as possible for even application. Also, avoid using lotions, soaps, or shaving creams with lanolin in them the day the day that you tan. This is slippery stuff, and can leave you looking blotchy and streaky because the color won’t stay put.
Loreal’s Sublime Bronze Self Tanning Lotion ($7.59, drugstore.com) has been one of my favorites for it’s natural glowy color and variety of products. Their gel and sprays are also easy to apply, cheap enough to stock up on, and don’t make you orange! Bare Escentuals Faux Tan Self Tanner, ($22, qvc.com) is a fast-acting lotion that takes you to a super beach bum bronze in a flash. It is also one of the best smelling tanners available and is safe for sensitive skin.
To keep your color around longer, try to avoid super hot or long showers and gently pat yourself dry. Touch up any light spots with a little extra tanner. If you overdid it in any one area, try a little bit of cleanser with glycolic acid to help lighten up. Re-apply every few days if you’re looking to keep yourself bronzed and don’t forget to wear your sunscreen on your way out the door! Your “tan” is not a UV shield!
Dr. V, our Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon, says…
I hate to say it, but I’m totally guilty of LMAO at the Jersey Shore! They’re morons, but they are pretty hilarious morons 🙂
Even though I’d love to talk about how funny they are, that’s not my job, so here are my three beefs with the Guidos and Guidettes of The Jersey Shore…
- FAKE BAKES: I’m a GTL kinda guy too, but only as long as the “T” is sunless! Tanning beds are almost the worst possible thing you can do for your skin. Fake bakes will only lead to two things: the not-so-hot leathery look, and skin cancer.
- SMOKING: When it comes to healthy skin, there’s only one thing worse than tanning beds… SMOKING! If you’ve never seen smoker’s lines around the mouth of someone who has smoked for a long time, try a Google search sometime… they’re awful, and they are nearly impossible to fix. Smoking also adds to the leathery baseball glove look that none of us want… except maybe Dontaella Versace.
- BOOMING BREAST IMPLANTS: JWwow has no shame in admitting that she has breast implants, and even less shame is letting everyone know that they are 700cc’s! That’s the largest size implant that one of the major implant manufacturers produces, and while it may look OK on her now, it’s going to give her some grief in the future. Large breast implants (bigger than 450-500cc) are fairly heavy, and will sag pretty fast. Correcting the sagging with a breast lift is a very difficult thing to do with very large implants… just ask Heidi Montag or 38KKK cup Sheyla Hershey!
The Jersey Shore Cast is living large right now, but it’s bound to catch up with them. You can get away with pretty much anything in your 20’s, but it doesn’t last forever. In the meantime, all we can do is learn our lessons from their bad beauty habits, keep laughing, and master the Jersey Turnpike!
Photo Credit: CREDIT
NOTICE: None of the celebrities or individuals discussed here have ever received treatment, surgery, medical advice, or evaluations from any author, physician, surgeon, or representative of this blog. All images and photos in this article represent models only. No actual patients or clients are shown.